Reservoir Action Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE OLD --- SITE ALLOCATIONS DEVELOPMENT PLAN - CONSULTATION DRAFT PREFERRED OPTIONS - Appendix 6 alternatives

2 posters

Go down

THE OLD --- SITE ALLOCATIONS DEVELOPMENT PLAN - CONSULTATION DRAFT PREFERRED OPTIONS - Appendix 6 alternatives Empty THE OLD --- SITE ALLOCATIONS DEVELOPMENT PLAN - CONSULTATION DRAFT PREFERRED OPTIONS - Appendix 6 alternatives

Post  bretski Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Last edited by bretski on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

bretski

Back to top Go down

THE OLD --- SITE ALLOCATIONS DEVELOPMENT PLAN - CONSULTATION DRAFT PREFERRED OPTIONS - Appendix 6 alternatives Empty Alternative Site options

Post  SteveG Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:32 am

It seems to me that every one of these options is considered "secondary" in some way. None are considered primary.

My principle concerns with regards to the Thornton site are:

1) Perceived reduction safety to runners and walkers around the reservoir area, a popular place for exercise for people from Thornton and surrounding villages.
2) Potential for litter in the reservoir area, a key tourist site in the National Forest - people with a clear ownership stake in an area or who pay to use it take much better care of that area than people who do not and pay nothing.
3) Impact on school numbers, where the building is at capacity for predicted numbers for coming intakes.

It strikes me that there is significant disadvantages in this proposal, with absolutely nothing being given back to the community.

A more positive proposal might be a regulated/licenced camp site that would be fit with the 'tourist' nature of the reservoir, whilst still having space for a few caravans.
This offers the following:
- An economic return for the community and the local authority in employment and business rates.
- A means to regulate behaviour and littering, through sanction of the campsite business and its license to operate.
The space appears to be large enough to be able to support such a proposal.

Any views?

SteveG

Back to top Go down